Thursday 6 December 2012

Sparkly holiday nails with striping tape

After my first try with striping tape, while I liked the look, I was pretty sure I didn't want to subject myself to that experience again any time soon. But somehow, here we are. Whitney at Dressed Up Nails has definitely been an inspiration. She's done fantastic things with striping tape!
I began with two coats of China Glaze Prey Tell. It is the perfect, dark wine red shade that I've been craving. Then I laid down the tape, working one finger at a time, and painted a thick coat of China Glaze Twinkle Lights. It's a beautiful holiday colour, with tiny gold, red, and green glitters. I did my ring finger first as an accent, then my thumb, then ok I'll do my index too so they're kind of alternating, then what the heck, I'll just do my whole hand.
What I learned today: glitter looks best in natural light
I was a bit more adept in laying down the tape this time, but there were a few curse words along the way, and moments of wanting to bite and gnash the tape off with my teeth. BUT I love the end result so much, I'm sure I'll do something like this again. For the sake of my sanity though, I'm going to get thicker striping tape.

Reminder to my friends in Canada and the States to enter my holiday giveaway here!
   

5 comments:

  1. ahhh i love them! so perfect for the holidays. isn't prey tell the most awesome color? also, i do that process all the time, mostly when i'm deciding whether to do the same design on my right hand as i did on my left - okay, just an accent nail. alright fine, two accent nails. okay let's just do them alternating. well now i'm almost done so i might as well take it all the way! glad to know i'm not the only one haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL kindred spirits, you and I xD I love Prey Tell, I'm sure I'll be wearing it A LOT this season.

      Delete
  2. Yay for trying striping tape again :D Those look gorgeous, and they indeed remind me of Whitney's :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you were right, it does get easier haha :D Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Hello, I've nominated you for a Leibster award/tag on my blog, so have a look if you have time, because there's some questions for you to answer :)

    In so much awe of this design, such a good twist on a tape mani!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They make my day!
Please do not use this section to drop links that are irrelevant to the post's content. I reserve the right to remove these. If you'd like to contact me, please e-mail me.